Why it is Important to Migrate to HTTPS
Table of Contents
- What are HTTPS and HTTP?
- Why do we need HTTPS?
- Benefits of HTTPS
- Benefits of SEO Ranking
July is a big month for Google. After announcing its Speed Update, they have announced that they will start marking all sites that have not migrated to HTTPS as “not secure”. Before any further discussion, it is better to understand what exactly HTTP and HTTPS stand for and what do they do and how they are different.
What are HTTPS and HTTP?
Image source: https://bit.ly/2zC9NaC
HTTPS is the secure version of HyperText Transfer Protocol. The “S” stands for Secure. “It is a method for ensuring secure communication between a user’s browser and a web server. It is often recognised as showing a green address bar or padlock in the browser window to indicate a secure connection”
HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) is the set of rules for transferring files (text, graphic images, sound, video, and other multimedia files) on the World Wide Web.
Why do we need HTTPS?
Image source: https://bit.ly/2ujSYw3
Today, internet security is of high priority. The world is changing, more than 50% of internet browsers worldwide are Google Chrome. This should be a vital reason for you to switch your website to HTTPS. As Google has made it official, they will list all sites as “not secure” which have not migrated from HTTP to HTTPS.
The time has come when you don’t have to give much thought on switching to HTTPS, as Google is working against you, you don’t have an option. If your site does not support HTTPS by then, it will have a negative impact on your SEO and your viewers might have second thoughts on visiting your website.
Benefits of HTTPS
Image source: https://bit.ly/2ufYGiE
- Trustworthy: If your site supports HTTPS, the customers will get the image of a secure and safe business site.
- Transparency: Prospective customers can see that you are a genuine business and you own the domain name
- Better Conversion Rates: Customers are more likely to purchase or browse a site which is secure rather than a non-secure one.
Benefits of SEO Ranking
Image source: https://bit.ly/2Jg00Xb
The ultimate goal of any SEO expert is to make sure that your site is ranked high on Google pages. This is only possible when you abide by their ranking rules. If you don’t migrate to HTTPS soon, it will show on the rankings. Keep in mind, the higher your site is ranked, the more chances of viewers clicking on it.
- 85% of OS users would abandon a purchase if their data was sent over an unsecured connection. That’s a huge impact on sales
- Google is looking to create a “Fully Secure Web”
- HTTPS websites load much faster than HTTP sites, and sites with faster site speed are more likely to rank better in the SERPS (Search Engine Results Pages)
According to Google’s blog post,
- Over 68% of Chrome traffic on both Android and Windows is now protected
- Over 78% of Chrome traffic on both Chrome OS and Mac is now protected
- 81 of the top 100 sites on the web use HTTPS by default
It’s time for your site to be HTTPS.
Digital Abhiyan has been successfully delivering digital marketing Agency to over 200 clients. We are proud to be one of the fastest growing digital marketing companies in kolkata,India